Monday, June 8, 2015

The Big Day

Wow, so much to catch you all up on since we had been without internet for a good week.  But no worries, I still took plenty of pictures to share.  


It has been a crazy week...so here it goes...

They were nice enough to let us move a few things in over the weekend while he still did some sprucing up for us.  In an ideal world the weekend would have been the time to move in, but our teen had her first show with the School of Rock and we thought a move may add too much stress to an already crazy weekend.


How exciting on Saturday...we brought in our first boxes (this is the kitchen).


We had our first guest all the way from Florida (also here to see the School of Rock performance).



On Sunday we set up the most important room in my opinion (our pantry).

If we did not get that kitchen going soon we were going to spend way to much time and money at the local bar eating chili cheese fries.

Moving Day!!!!!!

The big day is here, I feel totally stressed out and under prepared--yet it all happens effortlessly and we hired the best crew of strong fellows to handle all of our stuff.
Piles of boxes waiting for their new home, who new we had so much stuff in 1400 square feet? 

Well, I am sure it will fit in our new 2800 square feet.

  

It may be unclear, but this is our youngest sleeping through the move, no they did not move the couch with her on it, but I am sure they could have gotten away with it.
Laying around in our new living room while the truck is being unloaded.  It may be hard to tell, but these guys are carrying our boxes on their backs, no straps or belts.  

Amazing!

Then they did this to my kitchen...how did I have all this stuff in our old kitchen. And now I am delayed on unpacking my favorite room because we need to remove the previous tenants...yes the little furry ones...mice!

Old me would have been super nice and put out humane traps, but really I just need them gone. So I anxiously watch the sticky traps...but they are too smart for that...now I am trying aromatherapy with white fir (I hear they don't like that smell).  

Apparently, the neighborhood cats and black snakes have been making quite the feast of our little furry guests, so the smarter mice found it helpful to move into the big house for some shelter.  

We are on day eight and I stopped seeing signs of them for at least 48 hours...is it safe to
 unpack the kitchen yet?



What did we do on our first night?

We found out that semi-country folk can be the most wonderful neighbors.  Look at what they brought us for dinner and breakfast...and they didn't forget our dog either.  They included a gourmet bag of treats and a menu with a coupon for one of the local eateries. 


Then we curled up together for some DVD watching...our youngest hardly knew about this DVD collection thing that we had.  She was excited about all the new movie choices (since she is app kid...she only uses Netflix and such).  Good thing she enjoyed it so much...it took until the following Saturday to get our internet and cable connected.   A long and confusing story that I am sure you can all relate to with your own cable providers.


Wait the first day excitement isn't over...

...we lost power for the first time and apparently not the last, we were warned by the neighbor that a generator may be a necessity out here in semi-country.


Honestly, I didn't notice all the above ground utilities until after she warned us.  Yep, a little wind and some rain and down these lines go.  Not unlike our old city house back in the early days of our relationship...we lost power there all the time too and there was always a tree falling from somewhere.  Hope out here we will be able to agree who needs to remove the tree, back in the city those lines were very blurry.  


Anywho...I am off to tend to chores and looking forward to our first playdate/visit from town.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, a generator is a necessity in the semi-country. Glad the move is going well. Love you guys!! <3 Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we will see how it goes...I hear it can get pretty loud around here with all the generators. Made it through a storm last night without any problems.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an exciting adventure!! FYI we have these low-frequency thingies that plug into an outlet that emit sounds (that humans can't hear) but keep the mice away from our mountain house. Cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. Can't wait to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will look into it, do you know if it bothers birds and hermit crabs?

      Delete